How to Use
Candle Safety and Insider Tips
I know you've used a candle before. Let's not make this a whole thing. But there are a few insider tips to getting the most bang for your buck (and not burning your house down) with these guys!
Keep it trimmed:
Ever hear of "manscaping" and "ladyscaping"? Well I'm making "candlescaping" a thing. Keep that wick trimmed to 1/4" if you want the best results for your candle! A short wick serves a few purposes: One, it keeps the flame lower and closer to the wax, where you want it. That's a safety precaution as well as an aesthetic thing, because a too-tall flame can overheat the glass or make your jar all black and sooty.
If you don't have a wick trimmer, they're pretty handy little things! We sell a gorgeous rose gold trimmer right here.
First things first, soy candles have what's called a burn memory. The first time you burn them, make sure you leave it lit long enough for the melt pool to reach all the way to the edges of the jar. Past that first burn, do what you want. This is important to prevent the wax from creating a tunnel down the middle and making your wick fizzle out!
Ever see those warnings that say not to leave a candle burning for more than 3-4 hours? There are a few reasons for that!
The most important reason is that there's the potential for the jar to overheat, which could test the limits of the glass and cause it to break. Broken glass, spilled wax, and an unprotected flame would all suck severely, and could cause serious damage to you or your home. This isn't super likely, but it's still very possible. Don't test it.
The second reason has to do with scent! A few hours of burn time should be enough to fill your space with some awesome smells. You're probably noseblind to the fragrance at that point anyway, so it's kind of a waste to keep it going. A little known secret of wax is that the hotter you burn, the more fragrance oil you're going through, so the next time you burn your candle after a particularly long burn, it might not smell as strongly.
Using wax melts:
Wax melts are convenient if you're a commitment-phobe. Pop one in for a few hours, let it cool, and then switch it out with a new one! They're cheaper, so you can try more scents with less investment, and you can even combine scents to make your own wax cocktail of awesome.
We sell a beautiful electric burner that plugs into your wall, which means no replacing tea lights and it's not likely to run up your electric bill! It doubles as a candle jar warmer, which is great for getting the last bits of wax out of your jar. Whichever way you choose, use it safely. Follow all manufacturer instructions and never leave them unattended or overfill them. And don't touch them. They get hot.
Pro tip: Once the wax is cooled and hardened, put the wax melt dish into the freezer! The wax will contract and pop right out so you can burn a new melt with ease.
WARNING! To avoid potential injury, property damage, and a huge mess:
- Trim wick to 1/4" inch before burning every time.
- Keep away from children and pets.
- Don't leave anything burning unattended.
- Do not touch hot glass or wax.
- Only burn on a heatproof surface.
- Do not move candle or burner while wax is liquid.
- Keep candle away from all flammable objects.
- Discontinue candle use when wax reaches 1/2" from the bottom of the jar.
- Do not burn candles for more than 3 hours at a time.
- Do not add water.
- Only use approved warmers and read the safety instructions.
- For the wax melts, wait until wax is cool and hardened to burn a new melt. Pop it out when it's solid and pop in a new one!